Rochechouart
Phone: 05 55 03 61 75
Saturday, 14-May-16
Dinner here for Cath's birthday. The menu hasn't changed from our last visit. I had the vegetarian menu, which always looks promising and was. The starter was essentially the pannacotta de chevre without the dried pork "petals". The main was a tart, with a base of something, puréed beans and nuts perhaps, filled with an assortment of roast veggies. With a dab of sweet potato and another of kasha and barley on the side. Good stuff all. The Cath and Doug managed the duos of lamb, while Ed had the pork with udon (except they were rice noodles, but I won't tell). All dessert good too. Maridan for the wine again.
Saturday, 23-April-16
We ate here last May with Brette, but I see I neglected to record it. It was nice, but that's all I remember.
This time we ate here with Bill in the evening after going to the Phoenix book sale. Such a nice meal, lovely setting, good service, excellent food. Bill chose a really nice wine, Maridan 2011. For starters we had between us a balade d'escargots, a mille feuille de deux saumons et pomme, and a pannacotta de chevre. All beautiful and tasty. For mains we had two duos of lamb and a pork tenderloin. Then desserts. Then homeward.
Tuesday, 13-May-14
Lunch menus (€19 with a glass of wine) for three today with Barbara Douma. We started with a pork terrine (a coarse pâté) topped with a confit of onions and decoration of spirals of shaved beets and a dab of balsamic sauce. The main was galettes of ground chicken breast and chopped hazelnut, three little patties each. Very moist and tasty. Some fried potato chunks and a bit of salad on the side. Dessert was a trio of rice pudding, apple tart, and a dab of mocha with a swirl of dark chocolate. All yummy.
Tuesday, 16-Jul-13
Well, been a while since we've been here. No occasion tonight, just a late haircut in the area. I started with the vin du chataigne, which is nice every once in a while. We each had the €29 menu (dinner), three courses, with three selections for each course. Ed had an aspic-y terrine of beef tongue with ravigote sauce on the side and a roquette salad. I had a mousseline of salmon, with wedges of artichoke and some mussels. For the main, Ed had a brochette with the dark-meat breast of some kind of bird (quail? pigeon?) wrapped in bacon (like Canadian bacon), skewered with prunes and cherry tomatoes. I had a pastilla d'agneau, which was ground lamb, spiced and herbed with mint, topped with potato slices, wrapped in brik, a phyllo-like pastry. A little sauce of hazelnuts and mint on the side. We had a half bottle of Chinon to go-with. I'll try to find recipes for the pastilla and the tongue. For dessert, Ed had a trois drôles de dames with layers of pistachio, blackberries, and lavender. I had some chocolate and raspberries, can't be beat. All very good. Ate outside along the river.
Monday, 15-Nov-10
Ed's birthday lunch. This was the severalth time we've been here, and it's one of our favorites. We had a hard time finding something open on Monday, so opted for this. The meals are always interesting.
We started with an aperitif of vin du chataigne, which I like a lot and Ed not so much. We both had the menu du jour. The starter was a "cake" with a filling of smoked salmon, with a small green salad on the side. The main was a confit de porc with lemon and ginger, served around a disk of mashed potatoes. The menu included a glass of wine, Arrogant Frog (really!) , a red from the Languedoc. Dessert was a custard with a raspberry coulis. The topping includes a couple of gumdrops which was pretty but seemed a bit of out place. All presented very prettily.
Afterwards Ed had a café au lait chaud and I had a tisane, which was served a-brewing in a pretty glass teapot. Our cups were handleless, a glass cup inside another (like a glass ball that had been pushed in on itself). The insulating airspace meant the cups could easily be picked up.
Friday, 2-Jun-10
Another lunch, with no notes. Good, though.
Friday, 19-Feb-10
Lunched here for our first visit. Enjoyed it very much, but no other notes.
No comments:
Post a Comment